With Microsoft `s Win10 Evergreen strategy, Windows updates no longer only deliver patches and bug fixes, but complete system updates including new features. This should make traditional migration projects superfluous and, what is more
- Win7 already expired in 2016, currently bugfixing seems to be guaranteed only until 2020
- One cumulative update every month (quality updates):
- Security fixes, reliability fixes, bugfixes, etc.
- Replaces the previous month's update
- Twice a year with new function updates:
- New features and innovative APIs and security features
- Easy deployment through in-place upgrade
The executability of the business applications must be permanently tested against the current Win10 Workplace kernel
In addition to Windows 10 Workplace, innovations must be implemented faster, i.e. high-frequency configuration changes of the workstation become the rule.
These QA tasks are met with automated test runs, which primarily verify the basic functionalities of the systems and standard applications. Ideally, company-specific specifications (policies, guidelines, etc.) are mapped via configuration. The test cases for your business applications can map a horizontal or vertical test depth according to your requirements - across the workflow.
With Keep IT Green as a complete TA suite, you have a fully comprehensive TA solution at your disposal that can be used quickly and efficiently with the "out-of-the-box" testsets.
Enterprises should continuously conduct comprehensive application testing with Windows as a Service and Office 365 in mind in order to assess the actual impact on the IT infrastructure and application landscape.
- Resource-saving use of standardized test scripts with company-specific extensions
- Flexible execution using as many timeslots and test resources as possible
- Detailed logging of test execution
- Detailed information on each test machine per test run (hardware and software configuration)
- Audit-proof data management
Whereas previous large Windows and workplace migration projects were preformed every few years, workplace QA has become a continuous process with Windows10 and the Evergreen paradigm.
Half-yearly updates and 18 months of support for Windows10 versions mean that different versions have to be maintained in test and production environments. The figure shows the central test areas that interact with each other and are relevant for validation. For this purpose, "permanent testing" needs to be established that must be defined in terms of technology and process.
However, keeping pace with the Evergreen paradigm requires a clearly defined process and deployment strategy. The process should be designed to enable the continuous availability of Windows10 versions across the organization.
Modern client workstations map business processes with office, collaboration and business applications in a complex infrastructure.
For the Workplace Manager, in addition to virtualization, backend services and corporate policies, agile IT processes are the cause of ever faster update cycles. Heterogeneous workplace variants (e.g. fat clients, VDI, App-V, XenDesktop, mobile devices) extend the challenge in the "Evergreen" age.